The purpose of this project was to experience a new form of animation by telling a fairytale or story through stop motion. This project was the first time I have ever used stop motion, so learning the equipment, creating a suitable stop motion station, and creating believable movements of the characters were all challenges. In addition, another problem I faced was the audio. I didn't create the sound this time around but will be choosing that route in the future. Going into the project, I didn't realize just how long stop motions took, but it gave me a stronger appreciation for the animators that use this method, and I will work more with this medium in future work.
I decided to go with the classic story of "The Little Red Riding Hood" while adding a little twist, the wolf being a vegetarian. I began with the storyboarding process, this is vital in pre-production because it allowed me to see the flow of the story, how scenes would interact with one another, and any errors that could go unnoticed during the actual production portion. An additional benefit to storyboarding is being able to see all the elements, such as; characters, scenery, and objects that I would need. I designed them in Adobe Illustrator while not miss anything due to the storyboarding process. After creating them, I used a Cricut machine to cut out my designs, so I had smooth edges on each cutout. All I had to do was take my illustrator files and turn them into PNGS, and the Cricut did the rest with little to no issues! After getting them all cut, I used brass fasteners to create joints between two pieces for movement. These brass fasteners would eventually be edited out at the end of the stop motion, to keep it clean and uniform with the other elements. Once the characters were all finished, I was finally able to get to the point of working on the original stop motion part. I realized I didn't have a suitable rig to stop the shakiness of the camera, so in the image below, you can see the little platform I built using PVC pipes, an ancient selfie stick, and an old workbench. The setup also included a remote camera clicker and the photography lights, which helped with the lighting of the stop motion. I used my phone and stop motion studio from recording each frame, edited the audio with Adobe Audition, and then finished up the stop motion in Adobe After Effects.